Monday, April 20, 2009

Hitting the Wall

An issue I hear not infrequently in those trying to lose weight is this: Initially weight loss is quite rapid and regular, then little to no further weight loss comes despite keeping up the good eating habits that lead to the weight loss to begin with. How completely frustrating right!?
The reason this happens is that your body has kind of adapted to your new lifestyle, your metabolism isn't in shock anymore and your body can maintain itself with less calories coming in. Therefore, weight loss slows... major bummer.
So what to do? Now is the time to change things up. I wouldn't suggest a lower calorie level at this time. The secret weapon is doing some different exercises that works your body in ways it hasn't become accustomed to yet. For instance, if you've just been eating better, start some power walking too. If you've already started walking, try some jazz dancing, pilates, kickboxing, or something that makes your body work in new ways. Get that body thinking again, and you can press through that brick wall that often comes with well-intentioned weight loss effforts :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's true. You get this rush of the first 20 pounds or so and then it's just blah. The damn body has the nerve to get used to what you're doing and adjust accordingly. I'm lucky that I am still losing weight - 20lbs so far - but I know that day is coming. Here's a thought though, and this is what I've done in the past and I feel coming upon me if I'm not careful - complacency. See next blog post for details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I get down on myself and think I'm not doing enough exercise then I remember that wonderful fact that thinking burns calories! Not that it's a replacement for exercise, but studying and critical thinking can burn calories too:) Check it out....
    http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2006-07/mental-workout

    ReplyDelete