Monday, March 16, 2009

Nutrition Month

So March is National Nutrition Month, and honestly as a dietitian, it's a month I've always loathed because it means more lame projects at work for me. And I can't help but wonder...does anyone really give a damn that this is National Nutrition Month? I mean sure, it's great to spread good messages about health, but sometimes I feel like the general public is so overwhelmed with health and especially diet advice, that the good stuff just gets drowned out. Of all the patients in the hospital I've educated, about 90% of them know what they should be doing, they just aren't doing it! I feel like I'm wasting my breath sometimes.
What many people need is not a dietitian with a set of rules, but a personal motivator/psych expert. Not at all to say that those who struggle with eating need a shrink, but there is no denying that there is a strong emotional link to eating. This is one of the reasons that I like to add as part of a food journal the column of "what were you feeling/doing at the time" when it relates to meals/snacks. When I think about the emotional tie to eating, I often think of people with eating disorders. The typical eating disorder person is someone who feels like they lack control in their lives and they use food as the one thing that THEY can control alone. Although dietitians no doubt play a role in recovering from eating disorders, its more of a psychologists job than anyone.
Now for the non-anorexic/bulemics out there, the psychological link to eating is still a factor, but often for different reasons. Eating out of boredom is a big one. Eating out of habit, just like smoking when drinking. Eating during nightly TV shows. You've got to stop and ask yourself, "am I even really hungry?". So often when we find ourselves reaching for the not so great foods, the answer is no. If the answer is no, then you're eating out of emotion. I try to teach people to listen to their bodies. If you're hungry, eat! If not, don't! And by all means, screw the clean plate club. This is the worst idea ever, especially considering that restaurant portions are 3-4 times as big as they should be. I don't care how much food you feel you'd be wasting, if you're full, stop! And one other thing, in order to give your body time to send the "I'm full" message to your brain, you can't shovel in the food like it's a pie eating contest. Eat slower! Also, don't be distracted when you eat your meal; focus on your food. Don't watch TV, drive, etc while eating your meal. It takes your mind's focus off of how your stomach is feeling and turns it to whatever other activity you're doing.
OK, I'm done ranting for now :)

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely sympathize with your frustration as a dietitian. My grandma has this habit of trying to tell smokers that they should quit. She badgers them every time she sees them and it really just generally drives them crazy and makes them want to smoke more. What is it about human nature that makes us act like that?

    It's the same for eating though. I think sometimes that the more someone (like a dietitian, media, government) tells you what you should be eating, the more you want to go out and get a cheeseburger and a milkshake! Just like every smoker knows it's bad to smoke, those who eat mostly brownies and burgers know it's bad too.

    This is aggravating from both sides of the table, but I think that people won't do anything about eating more healthily until they themselves want to do it. At least that's the way it was with me. I had to see enough unflattering pictures of myself, feel enough tight waistbands in the dressing rooms, and see the numbers climb high enough on the scales. Only then did I decide that tipping 200 pounds wasn't the best idea if I want to live to a ripe old age.

    I suppose it's good to call attention to the issue, but you're right - do people really care?

    ReplyDelete