Sunday, March 1, 2009

We Can't All Be Perfect All Of the Time, Even Me.


This weekend I indulged a little. A friend I recently went to Ireland with got drunk and browsed the Internet looking for a Tea Cosy, but ended up buying it and an entire Full Irish Breakfast kit complete with bread shipped to his house. He text-messaged me late that night (I was already asleep) and said he had a surprise for me (see other blog about people sabotaging my diet!) and when he told me, initially I was panicked because I really wanted to eat it with him, but I was worried about packing on the pounds. However, I thought, screw it, I'll do what Ms. RD says to do with alcohol and fit it in. I'll just go light the rest of the day. Plus, I gave up alcohol this week, so I'm saving calories anyway. I love a good Full Irish Breakfast, and it's such a rare treat for me living in this neck of the woods that I had to jump at the opportunity. I googled the calories (a Full Irish with rashers, sausage, black and white pudding, grilled tomatoes, eggs, and Brennan's bread) and came up with a 1000-1300 calorie range. I bet on the higher range and ate with gusto. I wasn't hungry until later that night, so I had a little snack before bed. I enjoyed it. I relished it. I also planned for it, and didn't treat the rest of my day as having gone to shit just because I ate a big breakfast, which normally I would have done. I went back to healthy eating today too.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent example of how to incorporate your "diet" into your real life. No one should dare say "you can never eat xyz again." That's bull! You just have to compensate. Ok Ok, I wouldn't recommend high fat, high cholesterol as long as you fast the rest of the day as a frequent option, but that's the magic word, option.
    People so often get discouraged with the healthy eating lifestyle because they think it limits their options to enjoy eating. For one thing, as we've pointed out here before, there's tons of healthy meals to keep taste buds happy. Now secondly, if you've just GOT to have some greasy movie popcorn on Friday night, then just keep your meals on the lighter side that day.
    It's not too tough, you just really need to be rationale. :)

    ReplyDelete