Friday, February 20, 2009

Food (b)Log #10


Yesterday was a challenging day hunger-wise. My cold has me hungrier than usual so I really felt like stuffing my face all day. I left the house to go to work (only for a few hours though) without bringing the snacks I had laid out for myself, so by the time I finished work at 6:30, I was out in the suburbs and starving. My mind started wandering to all the places around Donelson in which stuffing my face was possible. If you know the area, you know that finding quick healthy food options is a challenge.

I had only had some Weetabix and milk, and orange, a slice of bread, and some lentil and carrot soup (140 calories), which usually would suffice, but I think the combination of my cold, the temperature outside, and the stress of the day combined to make me ravenous. I called up a friend (who is very anti-blog, so I know she won't read this) and suggested we meet at the Chili's out there. I thought perhaps Chili's might have some healthy options, and vaguely remembered something about a Guiltless Grill, but I thought, well, there's over 1000 calories left to this day, so big deal if it's not as "good" as homemade. Here are a couple of things I learned about Chili's. They do indeed have a Guiltless Grill. On the menu it says that these selections are guaranteed under 800 calories and 25 grams of fat (still sounds like a lot to me!), but it doesn't give the menu reader specific counts for each item on this guiltless menu. In fact, some of the items almost hit the maximum calories, and some, like the grilled tilapia, contain about 200 calories. That's a whopping difference. Knowing this would have made my choice much easier and I probably could have ordered a much more filling meal had Chili's armed me with this information. Also, some items that qualify for the Guiltless Grill criteria are not listed as such and just appear on the regular menu, like the Spicy Garlic and Lime Grilled Shrimp Salad. Unmodified, it undercuts the maximum calories by almost 200 (and without cheese, it comes in at way under and qualifies for the maximum fat gram allowance). I ordered it without cheese, dressing on the side, and picked out the tortilla strips. While this fastidiousness allowed me some extra leeway for the beers I chugged down to accompany the salad, it wasn't strictly necessary. The salad was actually delicious without both. Chili's had Happy Hour going on, so I ordered two beers (four really).

My friend pointed out that Chili's posts their nutritional content on their website, for which I applaud them, but what good does that do the customer stuck sitting at their bar, miles away from home and internet connection, starving, and trying to make intelligent food choices? Think it through, Chili's, and take my very logical suggestions. Put all the items that belong on the Guiltless Grill on it (have a version of the grilled shrimp salad without the cheese and with just a sprinkling of crunch tortilla strips) and give nutritional information for everything on this section of the menu. Help a girl out!

3 comments:

  1. In New York City it was a rule that all chain restaurants post calorie and fat content on their menus, educational yet scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy that Tennessee is passing a law that requires restaurants to start posting nutrition info. I'm not 100% sure that they have to post it on the actual menu, but it has to be available. This would apply to all restaurants that have at least 15 locations, so you're mom n' pop independent places won't have to comply.
    I think this is a long time coming. I hope that by admitting to how many calories are loaded into so many entrees, that perhaps restaurants will make some adjustments to their recipes to make them lighter and give less sticker shock to the diner. I've had this conversation with so many people, and one particularly less sensitive opinion I'll never forget: "Maybe the restaurant chairs should have scales in them and when you sit down, the menu adjusts to how much you weigh and won't allow high cal foods," he said. Ya right! People would never go out to eat, and eating out is an enjoyable time and can still be navigating without ruining the best eating intentions.
    I tell people all the time to make the restaurants earn your business. Be that "annoying" person that asks for sauces on the side, please don't add salt, omit XYZ ingredient. These places survive on your visit, so make it work for you while you're paying their bills. A restaurant that gives you trouble about such things doesn't deserve your business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scare tactics. Yeah, that'll work. Why don't we just beat the crap out of kids in school? That worked really well to create a well-educated populace. How about providing more real foods to less-income-earning people on a regular basis and telling those people what to do with those foods.

    How about the government (and the rest of us, including this measly little blog) telling the rest of the world to avoid processed foods (high fructose corn syrup and anything you can't pronounce - and not just 'cause you never thought you could read in school!). If it ain't real, don't eat it or don't drink it. It may seem trivial, but it is ultimately your mind and your education/kids they are playing with.

    You know it. Buy your kids healthy things in the store you can put a name to: like tomatoes, cabbage, greens, corn, eggplant, peppers, spinach, onions- in short, any vegetable - it's in season and it's cheap - buy it an figure a way to fix it for you and your kids. Do this for them and help them prevent heart disease, poverty,and help them develop good brains to become the people you want helping you and your community.

    ReplyDelete