Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'm Such a Big Loser!


I lost six pounds this week! Yea me. I realize that this won't happen every week and it's probably my body going into shock, so I have to remind myself not to be disappointed when that doesn't happen next week. I'm feeling a little better already. I mentioned my energy level, but my mood is also elevated. I'm feeling happy about things overall, even though I have no reason to be particularly optimistic, after all, I'm under-employed, the bills are mounting, and I'm stressed out about it, but since I started eating this way, I can't seem to feel depressed or as stressed. It's only been just over a week, so its early days yet, but I can feel definite and quite drastic improvements in my mental state and general energy level and motivation.

I promised pizza recipes a few days ago, and a couple of days ago, I finally made a pizza. A friend gave me a pizza crust recipe last year and I had only made it with white flour up until Tuesday. I merely substituted whole wheat flour into the usual recipe and cut the salt and sugar. Wheat flour, I discovered, acts differently, and there's still some tweaking to be done, but I'll give you my recipe in progress below:

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
About 3/4 cup warm water
1 package or about 1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tsp olive oil
(makes TWO nine inch round pizza crusts)

I make this using a Kitchenaid Mixer, but you could also do it in a food processor, or if you're really talented, by hand.

Fit the mixer with the dough hook. Pour in the flour and salt and mix around with your fingers. Into the approximately 3/4 cup warm water, pour the yeast and the sugar. Stir well, and leave to froth for about 15 minutes. When the water is good and frothy, pour it and the olive oil into the mixer and start the kneading with the dough hook. You may need to occasionally wipe flour off the sides of the bowl by hand. You'll know when it's ready. Adjust the water as necessary for the dough to come together.

Put a kitchen towel over the mixer bowl and place the bowl in a warm place for about 30-45 minutes. When the dough has risen to about twice it's original size, it's ready.

Here's something optional but yummy. While the dough is rising, roast some garlic cloves in the oven. Let them cool down while you knead the dough. To knead the dough, you can do it with your hands or roll it out. I try and do it hand-tossed style.

When you have a pizza shape, spread your roasted garlic over the crust before you spread on the sauce. The easiest way to distribute sauce is with the back-side of a spoon. Then add your toppings. I used 2 oz fresh mozzarella (for the whole pizza), spinach, roasted eggplant, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, tomatoes and a host of other things I can't remember. The important thing is to use lots of veggies and less cheese.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Bates! 6 pounds is a pretty extraordinary number and you're right on about your expectations. Not every week will be the same, but as long as your trending in the same direction, thats what counts.
    There may come a day when you stop losing weight, called "plateauing" (sp??). Lots of people get bummed out at this stage, but this is where you just have to kick it up a notch, as Emeril would say. The best way to get past the plateau isn't by eating less, its by exercising more. More brisk walking, etc. You're already doing this, but I'm just giving you a heads up on what may come and to not be disappointed if it does. (Sorry, Debbie Downer had to come to the blog ;p)

    ReplyDelete