Sunday, February 8, 2009

Food (b)Log #5 (In the Spirit).

Ok, it's the weekend, and aren't we all a little worse on the weekend? Maybe not, but I thought I'd try to appeal to the populace before I actually listed what I've eaten today. It's not really the eating that's bad, it's the drinking, but worry not, faithful followers, we will eventually slay that dragon too.

Here's my day:

Weetabix and milk (same as usual).
Orange
Wrap (chicken from Tossed) with healthy modifications and according to their website: 500 calories (I opted out of dressing, tortilla chips and told them to put in less chicken, but I did have some fat with the avocado).
Stir Fry (I know, again, right). My friend Brett made it. I made him use minimal oil (3 tsp for 3 people) and 3 times as much veggies as meat (there was a plentitude of veggies, multi-colour peppers, snow peas, zucchini, onions, mushrooms and much more), plus brown rice. I think the total meal was around 4 to 500 calories, and I'm probably over-estimating.

Here's the bad bit. Wine.

4 x 5oz glasses of Savignon Blanc. Now Sav. Blancs are the best for caloric content as far as wine goes, which is a surpise to me because usually I like the most fattening of everything, but Sav. Blanc has a lovely crispness that makes it my absolute favourite. I estimated this must mean about 500 calories, or perhaps a little more.

I did my analysis on FitDay, which is marvellous, by the way, and it came up with about 1700 calories for me for the day, including the wine, and I tried to report everything. That still seems low to me, so I'm going to assume I ate and drank more, and try and go for better as I go along. I was thinking I must have consumed at least 2000.

And I didn't tell you the best part. I went walking for an hour yesterday, and .... today too at Radnor Lake.

I also forgot to mention that my mood and energy level has been better than in a long time. I initiated the walking at Radnor today. I felt restless and full of energy and the need to exercise. I thought this was a good sign, and a sign of my return to my former, more active self. We'll see how it goes, but I definitely felt more like myself today and I would like to continue to try and exercise everyday or as much as is possible.

2 comments:

  1. This is just awesome! I am a big believer in the idea that healthy habits lead to other healthy habits, regardless of which one you start first. For example, if you go out for some fantastic, sweat-inducing walk, the likelihood of you stopping for a Big Mac on the way home are not good. When I get in some good exercise, I get home and think "what can I feed my body to keep up the goodness I've already done".
    Now, about the alcohol....
    You and I both know that the chances of us forever abstaining from the joys of ETOH are not good. However, it can fit in especially if we're more careful on during the week and save up our sins for the weekend ;P
    Good job getting the boys to make healthier changes to your meal. They can learn a thing or two from you :) And NEVER hesitate to ask a restaurant to make changes to keep in line with what YOU want. After all, they want your business, especially with the economy being so terrible, so make em work for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a great point about restaurants - they are struggling - so they shouldn't mind pleasing their customers. I don't feel bad at places like Tossed where it's a counter-service, order al a carte if you like, place, but I did feel a little guilty at the restaurant the other night. Ironically though, when they screwed up my order, and were generally snarky, I didn't feel bad about asking at all. I could have been a real witch and sent it back.

    I think restaurants should acquiesce to customers' requests to make the food more healthy. Did you see that Tennessee is considering a bill that would require restaurants to post caloric values on menus, apparently because we're one of the fattest states.

    ReplyDelete