Sunday, February 22, 2009

Work With Me Here!!

After discussing the progress of Miss B, my sister who would also like to lose weight has asked me for some assistance too. She wants to try to lose 30 pounds by July, which is very reasonable. So tonight I'm trying to plan some meals for her, and I find myself banging my head against the wall. She likes lasagna, so I thought, I'll make up a veggie filled lasagna with whole wheat lasagna; it would be delicious! However, my dearest sister is a meal planning nightmare. She is soooo picky and the foods that she will eat is very limited in type and preparation method. For example, I say "do you like zucchini?" and she says "yes I love zucchini." I'm encouraged for just a moment before realizing that I'm sure she is thinking of the lovely fried zucchini appetizers found at Olive Garden. So I clarify, "not fried" and I get an "eww" response... "not even pan fried??" "I don't want it all nasty and steamed," she states.
I'm just beginning with meal planning with her, and I'm already throwing my hands up. If you aren't willing to stretch your comfort zone, try new things, and make a damn effort, then it will never work. It ticks me off that people think that they can eat the way they always have and see any kind of success. You've got to be open minded at the least.
So, at the present time, I'm trying to plan a menu for someone who: doesn't like salad (its a texture thing), doesn't like soup, rice, or any vegetables other than corn, green beans, peas, and carrots, unless they're fried of course! This is a super challenge, even for me :(

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is really difficult. Maybe she's got an idea in her head that healthy food has to taste horrid, or of nothing at all. Perhaps you should saute things at first, so at least she thinks it's more fattening than it is and put familiar things in like cheese, just as a bridge from the old to the new. I don't know what will work!

    ReplyDelete