Monday, February 16, 2009

There's Nothing Like Free Stuff


Yesterday I helped my mother sort out her books. She's following my lead and taking the ones she doesn't want to a used bookstore to sell. This is surprisingly profitable, as I learnt last week. In the process of sorting out her cookbooks, I found two or three she didn't want. I would like to highlight one gem that has sat inconspicuously on her shelf for years, unbeknownst to me. The French Culinary Institute's Salute to Healthy Cooking contains many delicious-looking recipes with a wide range of ingredients and difficulty levels. It is a healthy cookbook that has real food, classy dishes, and comfort cooking as well as truly healthy vegetarian-friendly whole grain-using dishes. For those relatively new to cooking, or those who wish to increase their skill level, there is a section of basic recipes (stocks, sauces, vinegarettes) and basic techniques. A quick browse through this section alone should sharpen up anyone's repetoire of kitchen skills. I am looking forward to making the Sea Bass with Sauteed Cucumbers. I'll let you know how it goes. The book is available used in hardback from Amazon.com for $1.99 plus shipping, so it's a true bargain.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the blog! Keep up the wonderful work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great find, especially for you since you have some expertise in the cooking arena. This should provide some good challenges for you. It helps keep healthy food interesting, and as long as the taste buds are happy, everyone's happy :)

    ReplyDelete