Sunday, February 8, 2009

Food (b)Log #6


Today's problem was a welcome one: I couldn't eat enough calories. I have topped out at approximately 950 calories and can eat no more. Who would have imagined? It's unbelievable.

Here's a run-down of the foods I ate, with a little recipe fun too!

German Pumpernickel Bread (I slice 120 calories, 1g fat, 6g fibre)
1 tsp. butter
Approx. 1/2 cup cucumbers thinly sliced on the bread, topped with salt and pepper. What a yummy and unusual breakfast, accompanied by tea, of course.

My friend W.B. and I went walking this morning on the Nashville Greenway. It was such a beautiful day that we walked for about an hour an a half and explored some new pathways on it. I was bubbling with energy.

He wanted to go out for lunch but I dissuaded him and made a gourmet lunch for both of us.

This is phenomenal and very filling for two people:

Asian Ahi Tuna Tacos

4 oz Ahi Tuna Steak
Carrot
Cucumber
Alfalfa Sprouts
Sesame Seeds (optional)
Asian Marinade or Dressing
Avocado
Mayonnaise (optional)
Sesame Oil (optional)

Take 4 oz Ahi Tuna and marinate in Trader Joe's Soyaki (about 1 tablespoon will do) or other fairly low-calorie Asian-inspired sauce or salad dressing, for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, dice some cucumber, shred some carrot, and thinly slice about 1/3 of an avocado. Mist a non-stick pan with olive oil. Let the oil start to smoke slightly and place the tuna in the pan. Cook at medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your tuna steak (hint: watch the sides of the tuna to see how far through it is cooking). Don't worry that the tuna will burn a little on the outside; you want that to happen. Meanwhile in a large pan, toast your (whole wheat) tortillas slightly and if you like, toast some sesame seeds along with them (I have a really big pan). When the tuna is done, let it sit for a minute and then slice with a sharp knife into as thin slices as you can manage. Layer the tuna on the tortillas and top with 1 tsp. mayonnaise if desired. Then layer a couple of avocado slices and the other vegetables and add some alfalfa sprouts. Drizzle the taco with a few drops of sesame oil and shake on the toasted sesame seeds. This is easiest to eat if you wrap one end in foil to prevent the juicy tuna juice running down your arms!

I think I will experiment more with this recipe, perhaps adding roasted peppers or basil in future. This is just a starting point.

I found the taco rather filling, and my friend, W.B., didn't think so at first, but after we sat and chatted for a while, he said he was quite full.

In the afternoon, I merely snacked on an orange. I wasn't all that hungry and didn't start cooking dinner until about 7:30 this evening. Here's a picture and another recipe for you to try, copy, modify, or whatever you like. This one is so super easy, even a caveman could do it.

Pouch-Steamed Tilapia

1 Tilapia Filet
1 Cup Zucchini
1 Cup Yellow Squash
Seasoning
Olive Oil
Brown Rice (or other whole grain).
Pico de Gallo
1/2 Lemon

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, cook your accompanying grains. I did brown rice, but I think bulgar wheat would probably go extremely well with this dish.
Take a large piece of foil, perhaps about 3ft. long and fold over into an 18inch piece (you might also experiment with using parchment paper here for a nifty guest-pleasing presentation). Lay the tilapia on the foil lenthwise, so you will have room to put the vegetables beside it and still fold it over. Sprinkle the tilapia with the seasoning of your choice. Try to use one with easily-recognizable ingredients and no MSG. I used Emeril's Essence, but I also like Prudhomme's Blackened Seafood Magic. How much you use is up to you. I sprinkled both sides of the fish pretty liberally. I then squeezed half a lemon over the fish (only the fish). Next lay the vegetables next to the fish and mist the whole thing with olive oil. If you don't have a Misto, get one, they are fabulous. Fold over the pouch, crunkle the edges so it's airtight, place on a cookie sheet, and cook for about 35 minutes. Lay all ingredients on a plate and liberally cover the fish with Pico de Gallo.

Don't take my word for it. Make this dish yourself and see how good it is. I was completely blown away by the delicate tastiness of it. This would be a great dinner to make for guests, especially because the cleanup is so easy and you can make each guest an individual pounch. Don't tell them it's healthy and they won't even guess.

I finished off the meal with a banana and was so nicely satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bates, what a gourmet you are!
    Kudos for skipping eating out with WB. I always felt that making food with/for someone is such a lovely way to show your affection for them.
    And for the low cal day, these happen and its not a bad thing that they do. I bet you your stomach is getting used to your new routine and starting to shrink a bit.
    I love all the fish you are incorporating into your diet too. Fish has all those great fats that help raise your HDL (good cholesterol) that can help fight against heart disease. Plus its super yummy, so double bonus!

    ReplyDelete