Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Forty Days and Forty Nights

Now I'm not trying to go all goody-goody on y'all, but I'm a givin' up the booze for Lent. Yes folks, for forty days and forty nights, not a drop of the fermented grape or distilled grain will cross my lips. Totally teetotal. No beer. No Liquor. No Wine. I'm not doing this for religious reasons but because I believe that giving something you love up for a finite amount of time once a year is good for the soul, the mind, and the body. It forces you, even in little ways, to explore a different way. I will have to go out without drinking, not drink with my meals, or entertain in a way that revolves around drinking, all of which I am so accustomed to doing. It will also help my weight-loss campaign. As Ms. RD pointed out in her last post, booze contains a lot of empty calories, and those calories are really something I could do without for a while. I don't need them and it won't kill me to go without them for a while (at least I'm telling myself that now!).

Wish me luck. This will be difficult.

But, there's a special treat at the end for me because Easter Sunday (the end of Lent) is on my birthday this year. What a blowout I shall have!

No comments:

Post a Comment